Wolf Spirit Meaning, Symbols, and Totem
Teaching, Guidance, Loyalty, Intuition, Discipline, Order, Community, Freedom, Guardianship, Prudence, Respect, Communication, Patience, Teamwork
Wolf Spirit Animal Meaning and Medicine:
The wolf spirit animal brings with it many different meanings. If the wolf spirit totem has entered your life recently take a moment to stop and reflect on some of the following messages:
- Teaching, Guidance: Have you recently been faced with a difficult choice or do you feel you lack the information or experience to make an important decision? Wolf is regarded as one of the most powerful spirit guides of all, and its presence is a message of guidance. If the wolf spirit animal has appeared to you, seek wisdom from those you respect and pause to extract meaning from the subject that faces you. Once the wolf spirit animal equips you with knowledge you may take action with confidence.
- Loyalty, Community: Have you become alienated from your loved ones, are you staying at home all of time? The wolf animal totem urges us to ensure that you are playing your part in the community and that loyalties are properly maintained. Pick up the phone or hit the keyboard, get in touch with the people you’ve been neglecting. Get out of the house and invest some time and energy in that hobby you’ve been thinking about.
- Intuition, Prudence: Is a strong desire or passion stopping you from thinking clearly, is an opportunity being dangled in front of you? The wolf spirit animal is strongly connected to lunar power which symbolizes intuition. It is well known that wolf spirit packs subsist almost entirely off old, sick, and the lame animals, meaning the pack does not take unnecessary risks. Wolves are also known to give a spirited chase after prey for dozens of miles while taking turns in hot pursuit. The meaning here is to conserve your strength and be cautious in your approach to any difficult or tempting situations. Do not overextend yourself and instead trust your heart. Take time to fully consider the situation from every angle and don’t be afraid to say no.
- Discipline, Order: Do you feel lost, has your life strayed completely off track? The wolf spirit totem carries a message of discipline and order. Like howling at the moon and greeting pack members upon return, wolf spirits maintain many rituals. The structure and order of the animal pack has great meaning and ensures security and purpose for all of its members. An important message that the wolf spirit animal brings is to take account of your schedule and daily routines. If you’ve allowed yourself to live impulsively and aren’t really accomplishing then sit down and commit to changing. Take small steps at first and soon you’ll find things falling into place.
- Communication, Teamwork: Are you going it alone, are the challenges of life beginning to overwhelm you? While the concept of a lone wolf is a popular one, it is extremely rare. Wolf spirit animals invest their very survival in their pack and their social structure is both complex and varied. If the wolf pack has shown itself the meaning is that you must stop and take account of your relationships. Don’t be afraid to seek assistance and fresh perspective on a project. Don’t bottle up your feelings and communicate, you’ll be surprised by the amount of resources that wait in the hands of friends and family.
People with the Wolf Totem Animal are…
- Good Communicators
- Creative Problem Solvers
Wolf spirit people are often social butterflies and are respected for their advice, wisdom, and are seen as animals of meaning and insight. People with this animal totem have a lot of good thoughts to share and find themselves being consulted when friends or family are in trouble. The wisdom of the wolf spirit animal also creates patience and you can almost always count on a loyal ear when times are hard. The loyalty of this spirit animal is so great that once you are in the pack they will bend over backward for you, for life.
People with this power animal will prefer diplomacy and retreat over open hostility or fights but this is not because of cowardice, this is because of a powerful intelligence. Do not expect their spirits to be defeated easily as the wolf totem maintains a network of loyal friends and family for when the going gets tough.
While wolf totem’s spiritual intelligence demands respect it can also cause problems in certain social situations. Wolf spirit people are often very competitive and people with this animal medicine can become upset if the pecking order is disturbed, especially if it happens in their own home. Try not to push them or rub it in if you best them in a competition or you might get snarled at.
If the wolf spirit is your totem don’t overplay the patience or it can nip you in the butt. While seeking information and making an informed decision is a hallmark of this animal totem it is important that wolf spirit people don’t dally overlong in choosing what to do. More often than not, your seeking will lead you to the same conclusion that your animal intuition did in the first place.
Wolf Spirit Animal Messages:
The wolf spirit totem symbolizes your inner teacher. Trust in your many senses and intuition and you will connect to your meaning and blaze your own path on the journey of life.
If you see a wolf spirit animal in your dream she is guiding your to first find great Medicine through inner work, and then to return to your pack to serve as a teacher, guide and spiritual healer.
If the wolf totem animal is hostile towards you in the dream it symbolizes that you have strayed from your true purpose in life, stop ignoring the signals around you and get back on track.
To see a pack of wolves in your dream is a powerful symbol of spiritual kinship. Be thankful for your loved ones and see to it that they are getting your full support.
To hear the howl of a wolf spirit totem in your dream means that someone in your life needs to be heard and they may require your assistance.
Cultural and Spiritual Symbolism of the Wolf Spirit Animal:
- Native American: In Native American lore, the wolf animal totem fulfilled two roles. At a tribal level, the wolf spirit lived in a way that made the tribe strong. Food was provided for all animal’s in the pack, including the old and sick. They also saw to the education of cubs and defended their territory against other wolves. At a personal level, Native American’s with wolf as a medicine animal or personal spirit totem understood the qualities that made the wolf stand out as an individual. They admired wolf’s stamina, ability to track well and go without food for long periods.
- Egyptian: In Egyptian Mythology, the wolf spirit was a symbol of Wepwawet a war deity. His name means, opener of the ways. The wolf totem was seen as a scout, going out to clear routes for the army to proceed forward and later as an opener of the path to victory. Eventually, the wolf totem also became associated with death and an opener of the underworld.
- Celtic: Two wolf totem’s drive the time as they chase the sun and moon. Their image accompanied many clans as a symbol of strength and victory. The great wolf Fenrir is the harbinger of Armageddon.
- Greek/Roman: In Greek and Roman mythology the wolf symbol and meaning is associated with the Gods of war, Ares/Mars. The wolf spirit totem was also seen as the Great Goddess or Mother and many Greek and Roman heroes claim wolves as their ancestors.
- Chinese: The Chinese saw the wolf totem animal as a guardian of the heavenly palace.
- Christian: Early Biblical sources represented the wolf totem as destructive and associated with the evening (Jeremiah 5:6, and dishonest gain, bloodshed and destruction (Ezekiel 22:27, The Holy Bible). However, when the wolf and lamb were depicted lying down even though they were considered traditional enemies, together they represented peace and the coming Messianic rule (Isaiah 65:25 The Holy Bible).